Searching for a great Italian melanzane recipe? This classic eggplant parmigiana recipe is one of the greatest of all Tuscan recipes.
Melanzane, by the way, is what Italians call eggplant or aubergine and this is the best way to cook eggplant/aubergine/melanzane in my view.
A friend of ours, a signora by the name of Elena, let me share this previously secret recipe on my site.
Elena is from Tuscany and she tells me that this recipe has been in her family for many generations.
She learned to cook it from her mamma and nonna when she was little and they learnt it from their mothers and nonnas in turn.
It is so much a family tradition that it has never been written down... before now that is.
I've tried many melanzane/eggplant recipes before, I thought they were great...then I tried this one. WOW!
If you like it too please click like below.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
6 melanzane (eggplants), sliced lengthways about 6mm thick
salt, to taste
500g tomato sauce (made with peeled tomatoes, an onion, a carrot, stick of celery, basil and a little olive oil)
50g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
a handful of basil leaves, chopped
250g fiordilatte mozzarella
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2) Place the melanzane (eggplants), on a baking tray then brush with olive oil.
3) Place in the oven until soft. Remove.
4) Butter a baking dish then layer the bottom with the melanzane (eggplants). Season with salt.
5) Cover with the tomato sauce, Parmigiano Reggiano, chopped basil and mozzarella. Repeat for at least 3 layers.
6) Cover the last layer of melanzane (eggplants), with only tomato sauce then place a few rounds of mozzarella slices on top.
7) Bake in a 180 degrees celsius oven for 20 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Elena's Tip: This will taste even better the following day so if you can resist eating it immediately refrigerate overnight.
If you enjoy my site I'd love your support.
All you need do is book your accommodation via this link, or any of the other hotel links on the website. Whether it's for travel to Italy... or anywhere else on earth, your support means the world to us.
You'll get the best deal available, and the income helps us stay independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.