Melanzane alla Parmigiana
Searching for a great Italian melanzane recipe? This classic melanzane alla parmigiana recipe is one of the greatest of all Tuscan recipes.
A friend of ours, a signora by the name of Elena, let me share this previously secret recipe on my site.
Elena is from Tuscany and she tells me that this recipe has been in her family for many generations.
She learned to cook it from her mamma and nonna when she was little and they learnt it from their mothers and nonnas in turn.
It is so much a family tradition that it has never been written down before now.
I've tried many melanzane/eggplant recipes before, I thought they were great...then I tried this one. WOW!
If you like it too please click like below.
Note: Melanzane is the Italian word - in the UK and Canada this vegetable is called an aubergine while in other countries it is called an eggplant or brinjal.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
6 melanzane (eggplants), sliced lengthways about 6mm thick
salt, to taste
500g tomato sauce (made with peeled tomatoes, an onion, a carrot, stick of celery, basil and a little olive oil)
50g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
a handful of basil leaves, chopped
250g fiordilatte mozzarella
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2) Place the melanzane (eggplants), on a baking tray then brush with olive oil.
3) Place in the oven until soft. Remove.
4) Butter a baking dish then layer the bottom with the melanzane (eggplants). Season with salt.
5) Cover with the tomato sauce, Parmigiano Reggiano, chopped basil and mozzarella. Repeat for at least 3 layers.
6) Cover the last layer of melanzane (eggplants), with only tomato sauce then place a few rounds of mozzarella slices on top.
7) Bake in a 180 degrees celsius oven for 20 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Elena's Tip: This will taste even better the following day so if you can resist eating it immediately refrigerate overnight
Print this recipe...
Melanzane alla Parmigiana
Like us? Why not support me and Maria.
All you need do is book via the search box below, or any of the hotel links elsewhere on the website. It can be for travel to Italy... or anywhere else on earth.
You'll get the best deal available and the income we receive helps us to:
- Stay independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.
- Never have to accept money from hotels directly - meaning that we can share only those we genuinely love.
Feb 19, 19 03:40 AM
Walks and hikes in Tuscany can only be wonderful: with cypress-lined lanes, quaint villages and picturesque farmhouses. So… lace up those walking shoes, pack your back-pack, and don’t forget the sun c…
Feb 02, 19 04:40 AM
Why visit Italy? People have asked me that on many occasions. Now all you need to do is visit this page and you'll instantly have the answer.
Jan 31, 19 05:34 AM
Villas Holidays in Sardinia? Personally selected homes from Olbia and Alghero to Arbatax and beyond and the list of the best beaches in Sardinia too.
Jan 31, 19 05:10 AM
Ever wondered what life in a small village in Calabria would be like? Read this amazing story for the answer.
Jan 30, 19 10:06 AM
Thinking of visiting Urbino? Then I think I have discovered the perfect place to stay. This lovely town was the first place my wife and I stayed in Marche after moving to Italy over ten years ago...
Jan 30, 19 10:01 AM
One of the forgotten great cities of Europe, Turin or Torino was my home for eight years. It is an elegant and enchanting city that I love deeply. Let me share its many secrets...