Tomato Based Sauce for Pasta
Honestly, there are times when nothing is better than a simple pasta dish with a tomato based sauce. Why complicate thing when many of the greatest Italian recipes are also the simplest. As Leonardo da Vince said: "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
This recipe is an old favourite of mine and will take you absolutely no effort at all to put together. It'll be ready and waiting in the time it takes to cook the pasta.
I suggest you make plenty too because if your family is anything like mine they'll want plate after plate of it.
Enjoyed the recipe? Please click like below!
- One tin of chopped tomatoes from Italy
- Tablespoon of tomato paste
- 8 fresh baby tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 chilli pepper ( you can leave this out or add in more - depends on your taste for fiery things)
- Olive oil
- Parma ham to taste - optional. You can leave it out or add olives instead or even add olives AND Parma ham!
- 3 cups of rocket (known as arugula in the USA)
- 1/3 of a cup basil; chopped fresh is best
- freshly grated good quality Parmesan cheese or Grana Padano
- Quantities serve 4-6
- Put the pasta on to cook in a pot of water. Use your favourite pasta which should be cooked al dente (is there another way?), I normally use penne or spaghetti but the choice is yours.
- Roast tomatoes until soft and sweet in olive oil, add in the garlic cloves and chilli pepper.
- Pour in the tin of chopped tomatoes and the tomato paste and finally some salt and basil.
- Drain the pasta and mix it up with the sauce adding in parma ham and rocket.
- Serve with shaved Parmigiana Reggiano (Parmesan) or Grana Padano and if you want to make it look fancy add some fresh basil leaves.
The result is one of those pasta sauces that is a real summer treat. It is also a favorite if you need a quick sauce for dinner after a long day at work.
Print this recipe...
Tomato Pasta Recipe
Like us? Why not support me and Maria.
All you need do is book via the search box below, or any of the hotel links elsewhere on the website. It can be for travel to Italy... or anywhere else on earth.
You'll get the best deal available and the income we receive helps us to:
- Stay independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.
- Never have to accept money from hotels directly - meaning that we can share only those we genuinely love.
Mar 11, 19 12:34 PM
Did you know that they have discovered a coral reef in Italy? It is the biggest in Europe and one of the only ones in the Mediterranean sea. It was discovered
Mar 11, 19 03:32 AM
All it takes is 10 days and you'll have the most wonderful memories to last a lifetime. Ready to begin? Let's go...
Mar 09, 19 04:43 AM
The region of Basilicata is the least known of all Italian regions and yet it sparkles with some real gems, like Maratea. Tucked between woods, mountain and the sea and looked over by the marble statu…
Mar 09, 19 03:42 AM
Planning an Italian vacation? Here are 18 fabulous destinations you simply have to visit...
Mar 05, 19 03:45 AM
One of the forgotten great cities of Europe, Turin or Torino was my home for eight years. It is an elegant and enchanting city that I love deeply. Let me share its many secrets...
Mar 04, 19 12:03 PM
Naples is difficult to really appreciate, to fall in love with, on your own. You really need a local to take you around... that's why I asked Andrea to take us around his Naples...