Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
A very simple Italian chicken recipe that is a firm favorite in our home
and Maria (my wife) always prepares it this way.
Whenever I know this
is on the menu I always make sure I'm home in time for dinner!
As Italian chicken recipes go this is probably the best known but there are some other great chicken recipe like Chicken Valdostana (click for our recipe).
Chicken Cacciatore means hunter's chicken in Italian and basically the name comes from the old days when the hunter would come home with a pheasant for the pot and his wife would add in whatever she'd managed to collect.
You can still use pheasant too if you prefer. It's actually a lot nicer with pheasant but chicken's easier and cheaper.
2 lbs. chicken pieces
6 Tbs. of olive oil
10 black olives
1 small carrot
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 stalk of celery
1 lb. of tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 bay leaf
1 glass of dry white wine
1 oz. of dried mushrooms
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cup of chicken broth
1 Tbs. of chopped parsley
1) Wash and dry the cut up chicken pieces. Saute the carrot, celery, peppers, olives, onion and garlic in the olive oil. When tender, but not crisp, add the chicken pieces, salt and pepper, bay leaf and let brown over high flame.
2) Add the white wine and when the wine has evaporated, add a few mushrooms, the tomatoes and the 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Cook for about 1 hour over a medium heat.
3) When ready remove from heat, add the chopped parsley and arrange in a heated serving platter.
Print this recipe...
Recipes from Piedmont
Like this recipe? Why not sign up for my FREE monthly newsletter below...
Like us? Why not support me and Maria.
All you need do is book via the search box below, or any of the hotel links elsewhere on the website. It can be for travel to Italy... or anywhere else on earth.
You'll get the best deal available and the income we receive helps us to:
- Stay independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.
- Never have to accept money from hotels directly, so that we can share only those we genuinely love.
Jan 21, 19 09:49 AM
All it takes is 10 days and you'll have the most wonderful memories to last a lifetime. Ready to begin? Let's go...
Jan 21, 19 09:33 AM
Piedmont cooking is the finest in Italy. These are some of the most famous and best recipes selected during my ten years of living here.
Jan 21, 19 08:54 AM
Panna Cotta - A Decadent Piedmont and Italian Dessert that will leave you absolutely begging for more. Served with fresh berries this truly is the taste of an Italian summer..
Jan 21, 19 08:48 AM
Online Italian Courses with Homestay Program, via the Italian Virtual School. Whether you choose online or a homestay this is a great way to learn Italian.
Jan 21, 19 06:26 AM
An American grandmother heads off for a new life in Italy, leaving behind ten grandchildren. This incredible story will inspire everyone to live their dreams.
Jan 21, 19 06:18 AM
You'll find a lot of gorgeous villages and little towns in Italy; many though are full of tourists. Well here's one that is simply gorgeous and still undiscovered...click to discover Neive.