Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
A very simple Italian chicken recipe that is a firm favorite in our home
and Maria (my wife) always prepares it this way.
Whenever I know this
is on the menu I always make sure I'm home in time for dinner!
As Italian chicken recipes go this is probably the best known but there are some other great chicken recipe like Chicken Valdostana (click for our recipe).
Chicken Cacciatore means hunter's chicken in Italian and basically the name comes from the old days when the hunter would come home with a pheasant for the pot and his wife would add in whatever she'd managed to collect.
You can still use pheasant too if you prefer. It's actually a lot nicer with pheasant but chicken's easier and cheaper.
2 lbs. chicken pieces
6 Tbs. of olive oil
10 black olives
1 small carrot
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 stalk of celery
1 lb. of tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 bay leaf
1 glass of dry white wine
1 oz. of dried mushrooms
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cup of chicken broth
1 Tbs. of chopped parsley
1) Wash and dry the cut up chicken pieces. Saute the carrot, celery, peppers, olives, onion and garlic in the olive oil. When tender, but not crisp, add the chicken pieces, salt and pepper, bay leaf and let brown over high flame.
2) Add the white wine and when the wine has evaporated, add a few mushrooms, the tomatoes and the 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Cook for about 1 hour over a medium heat.
3) When ready remove from heat, add the chopped parsley and arrange in a heated serving platter.
Print this recipe...
Recipes from Piedmont
Like this recipe? Why not sign up for my FREE monthly newsletter below...
Like us? Why not support me and Maria.
All you need do is book via the search box below, or any of the hotel links elsewhere on the website. It can be for travel to Italy... or anywhere else on earth.
You'll get the best deal available and the income we receive helps us to:
- Stay independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.
- Never have to accept money from hotels directly - meaning that we can share only those we genuinely love.
Jan 27, 20 01:54 AM
The Cinque Terre Weather Guide... everything you need to know about the weather in the Cinque Terre from January through December and lots of other insider information too..
Jan 25, 20 07:21 AM
The Castle of Exilles is where the man in the iron mask was kept prisoner. Who he was nobody knows but the ordeal comes vividly to life inside this haunted castle.
Jan 25, 20 07:14 AM
Which are the best Italian food books? I have lived in Italy for ten years, my wife is Italian and a great chef. Together we have put together a list of essential reading. Llove Italian food? Click.
Jan 23, 20 07:42 AM
Join the festa in Ascoli Piceno. Looking to discover the real Italy? Look no further than this medieval town.
Jan 23, 20 07:38 AM
These books on Piedmont Italy are essential reading for anyone interested in this lovely Italian Region.
Jan 21, 20 07:22 AM
The Cinque Terre competition ends @ midnight (Italian time). To enter watch the video on YouTube, subscribe and comment. You could win a unique Cinque Terre original photo collection by a renowned Ita…