Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
A very simple Italian chicken recipe that is a firm favorite in our home
and Maria (my wife) always prepares it this way.
Whenever I know this
is on the menu I always make sure I'm home in time for dinner!
As Italian chicken recipes go this is probably the best known but there are some other great chicken recipe like Chicken Valdostana (click for our recipe).
Chicken Cacciatore means hunter's chicken in Italian and basically the name comes from the old days when the hunter would come home with a pheasant for the pot and his wife would add in whatever she'd managed to collect.
You can still use pheasant too if you prefer. It's actually a lot nicer with pheasant but chicken's easier and cheaper.
2 lbs. chicken pieces
6 Tbs. of olive oil
10 black olives
1 small carrot
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 stalk of celery
1 lb. of tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 bay leaf
1 glass of dry white wine
1 oz. of dried mushrooms
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cup of chicken broth
1 Tbs. of chopped parsley
1) Wash and dry the cut up chicken pieces. Saute the carrot, celery, peppers, olives, onion and garlic in the olive oil. When tender, but not crisp, add the chicken pieces, salt and pepper, bay leaf and let brown over high flame.
2) Add the white wine and when the wine has evaporated, add a few mushrooms, the tomatoes and the 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Cook for about 1 hour over a medium heat.
3) When ready remove from heat, add the chopped parsley and arrange in a heated serving platter.
Print this recipe...
Recipes from Piedmont
Like this recipe? Why not sign up for my FREE monthly newsletter below...
Like us? Why not support me and Maria.
All you need do is book via the search box below, or any of the hotel links elsewhere on the website. It can be for travel to Italy... or anywhere else on earth.
You'll get the best deal available and the income we receive helps us to:
- Stay independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.
- Never have to accept money from hotels directly - meaning that we can share only those we genuinely love.
Mar 11, 19 12:34 PM
Did you know that they have discovered a coral reef in Italy? It is the biggest in Europe and one of the only ones in the Mediterranean sea. It was discovered
Mar 11, 19 03:32 AM
All it takes is 10 days and you'll have the most wonderful memories to last a lifetime. Ready to begin? Let's go...
Mar 09, 19 04:43 AM
The region of Basilicata is the least known of all Italian regions and yet it sparkles with some real gems, like Maratea. Tucked between woods, mountain and the sea and looked over by the marble statu…
Mar 09, 19 03:42 AM
Planning an Italian vacation? Here are 18 fabulous destinations you simply have to visit...
Mar 05, 19 03:45 AM
One of the forgotten great cities of Europe, Turin or Torino was my home for eight years. It is an elegant and enchanting city that I love deeply. Let me share its many secrets...
Mar 04, 19 12:03 PM
Naples is difficult to really appreciate, to fall in love with, on your own. You really need a local to take you around... that's why I asked Andrea to take us around his Naples...