Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
A very simple Italian chicken recipe that is a firm favorite in our home
and Maria (my wife) always prepares it this way.
Whenever I know this
is on the menu I always make sure I'm home in time for dinner!
As Italian chicken recipes go this is probably the best known but there are some other great chicken recipe like Chicken Valdostana (click for our recipe).
Chicken Cacciatore means hunter's chicken in Italian and basically the name comes from the old days when the hunter would come home with a pheasant for the pot and his wife would add in whatever she'd managed to collect.
You can still use pheasant too if you prefer. It's actually a lot nicer with pheasant but chicken's easier and cheaper.
2 lbs. chicken pieces
6 Tbs. of olive oil
10 black olives
1 small carrot
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 stalk of celery
1 lb. of tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 bay leaf
1 glass of dry white wine
1 oz. of dried mushrooms
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cup of chicken broth
1 Tbs. of chopped parsley
1) Wash and dry the cut up chicken pieces. Saute the carrot, celery, peppers, olives, onion and garlic in the olive oil. When tender, but not crisp, add the chicken pieces, salt and pepper, bay leaf and let brown over high flame.
2) Add the white wine and when the wine has evaporated, add a few mushrooms, the tomatoes and the 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Cook for about 1 hour over a medium heat.
3) When ready remove from heat, add the chopped parsley and arrange in a heated serving platter.
Print this recipe...
Recipes from Piedmont
Like this recipe? Why not sign up for my FREE monthly newsletter below...
Like us? Why not support me and Maria.
All you need do is book via the search box below, or any of the hotel links elsewhere on the website. It can be for travel to Italy... or anywhere else on earth.
You'll get the best deal available and the income we receive helps us to:
- Stay independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.
- Never have to accept money from hotels directly - meaning that we can share only those we genuinely love.
Jul 04, 19 04:48 AM
A hiker was killed when Stromboli unexpectedly erupted yesterday. Efforts are under way to evacuate 70 people from the island, which is located off the coast of Sicily.
Jul 03, 19 03:23 AM
There is a macelleria inside the gates of Sarnano, an Italian butcher shop, the subject of our interest. The couple who run it are old, the store is old. The store is at and in the old wall. The meat…
Jul 02, 19 06:49 AM
Our apartment in Sarnano, Le Marche, Italy, is in the Centro Storico, the historic center, The windows look out at the mountains and a small cortile(courtyard) in which we take our morning coffee and…
Jun 25, 19 03:59 AM
Become a part of the Secret Italy Club. Membership is open for a short while longer and we'd like you to be a part of the family.
Jun 03, 19 07:03 AM
A delicious authentic homemade lasagna recipe.This is the way my Italian nonna-in-law cooks it and I can tell you it is great...
May 30, 19 07:11 AM
Planning a trip to Italy? Then you really need to read our Italian itinerary before you book a single thing.