Traditional Italian Dessert - Zabajone
A traditional Italian dessert Zabajone (written Zabaglione in most of Italy outside of Piedmont) is a delicious treat for the
whole family. Well maybe not the whole family as it is full of Marsala
wine so perhaps make it when you have no children to dinner.
recipe is one of mine and my wife's Maria's favorites and we always tend
to associate it with some of the most magical and romantic evenings in
our lives. I hope it does the same for you.
Maria and I love sharing our favorite Italian recipes and "our" Italy with you so please stick around a little and explore. Take your time though, put your feet up and enjoy...Italy is not one of those things that should be rushed.
Once you've explored we'd really love it if you'd like us too.
As with all dishes from the beautiful Piedmont region of Italy this traditional Italian zabajone
recipe really works out a lot better if you use authentic ingredients in preparing it.
- Marsala wine,
- Maraschino is the best to use but you can use any other light-colored liqueur in the abscence of Maraschino,
- sponge fingers.
- strawberries or cherries
Calculate the quantities as follows:
For each person: three egg yolks, three teaspoonfuls of castor sugar, and a wine glass of wine and liqueur mixed equally.
- Mix the wine and liqueur equally.
- Whip up the yolks of the eggs with the sugar, then gradually add the wine and liqueur mixture.
- Put this in a bain-marie, and stir until it has thickened to the consistency of a custard.
- To avoid disaster ensure that whatever happens you don't let it get to the boil.
- Serve hot in custard glasses with the sponge fingers and decorate it with the strawberries or cherries.
Recipes from Piedmont
Like us? Why not support me and Maria.
All you need do is book via the search box below, or any of the hotel links elsewhere on the website. It can be for travel to Italy... or anywhere else on earth.
You'll get the best deal available and the income we receive helps us to:
- Stay independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.
- Never have to accept money from hotels directly, so that we can share only those we genuinely love.
Dec 11, 18 07:33 AM
Which is the best of all Italian ski resorts? Visit my insiders guide and discover the answer.
Dec 10, 18 06:17 AM
Finding that dream home in Italy can be a challenge. Having been down that road ourselves Maria and I have plenty of excellent tips on Italian real estate. You can't afford NOT to read our guide.
Dec 10, 18 05:38 AM
Our Italian Newsletter is packed full of great insider tips about Italy, from Venice to Piedmont and much more in between - and it is all for FREE.
Dec 10, 18 05:10 AM
Discovered! Italy's most romantic lake and Italian lake holidays perfect for kids. If it has to do with the Italian lakes we have it covered...
Dec 10, 18 05:06 AM
Photos of the most splendid countries on earth, Italy! Photos can never do it justice but these Italian images come close.
Dec 08, 18 05:54 AM
Gourmet Italian food sourced exclusively from traditional producers -many endorsed by the Slow Food Association. Ensuring you a genuine taste of Italy.