Traditional Italian Dessert - Zabajone
A traditional Italian dessert Zabajone (written Zabaglione in most of Italy outside of Piedmont) is a delicious treat for the
whole family. Well, maybe not the whole family as it is full of wine; perhaps make it when you have no children to dinner.
recipe is one of our favorites and we always tend
to associate it with some of the most magical and romantic evenings in
our lives. I hope it does the same for you.
Maria and I love sharing our favorite Italian recipes and "our" Italy with you so please stick around a little and explore. Take your time though, put your feet up and enjoy...Italy is not one of those things that should be rushed.
Once you've explored we'd really love it if you'd like us too.
As with all dishes from the beautiful Piedmont region of Italy this traditional Italian zabajone
recipe really works out a lot better if you use authentic ingredients in preparing it.
- Moscato sweet white wine (if you don't have moscato use marsala or another sweet wine)
- Maraschino is the best to use but you can use any other light-colored liqueur in the absence of Maraschino,
- sponge fingers.
- strawberries or cherries
Calculate the quantities as follows:
For each person: three egg yolks, three teaspoonfuls of castor sugar, and a wine glass of wine and liqueur mixed equally.
- Mix the wine and liqueur equally.
- Whip up the yolks of the eggs with the sugar, then gradually add the wine and liqueur mixture.
- Put this in a bain-marie, and stir until it has thickened to the consistency of a custard.
- To avoid disaster ensure that whatever happens you don't let it get to the boil.
- Serve hot in custard glasses with the sponge fingers and decorate it with the strawberries or cherries.
Recipes from Piedmont
Like us? Why not support me and Maria.
All you need do is book via the search box below, or any of the hotel links elsewhere on the website. It can be for travel to Italy... or anywhere else on earth.
You'll get the best deal available and the income we receive helps us to:
- Stay independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.
- Never have to accept money from hotels directly - meaning that we can share only those we genuinely love.
Feb 19, 19 03:40 AM
Walks and hikes in Tuscany can only be wonderful: with cypress-lined lanes, quaint villages and picturesque farmhouses. So… lace up those walking shoes, pack your back-pack, and don’t forget the sun c…
Feb 02, 19 04:40 AM
Why visit Italy? People have asked me that on many occasions. Now all you need to do is visit this page and you'll instantly have the answer.
Jan 31, 19 05:34 AM
Villas Holidays in Sardinia? Personally selected homes from Olbia and Alghero to Arbatax and beyond and the list of the best beaches in Sardinia too.
Jan 31, 19 05:10 AM
Ever wondered what life in a small village in Calabria would be like? Read this amazing story for the answer.
Jan 30, 19 10:06 AM
Thinking of visiting Urbino? Then I think I have discovered the perfect place to stay. This lovely town was the first place my wife and I stayed in Marche after moving to Italy over ten years ago...
Jan 30, 19 10:01 AM
One of the forgotten great cities of Europe, Turin or Torino was my home for eight years. It is an elegant and enchanting city that I love deeply. Let me share its many secrets...