A Taste of Italy - Our Tiramisu Recipe
What dessert could ever beat this Tiramisu recipe at the end of a meal? In English the name means pick-me-up and that is exactly what this delicious treat of coffee and chocolate will do.
Tiramisu is a recipe that was invented in the Veneto region of Italy, in the town of Treviso near Venice and not that long ago either - 1971 to be exact.
The Veneto is where my wife Maria's family are from and you can discover plenty more on this fantastic region, from Venice through to Verona, over on her website.
There's also this wonderful recipe for tiramisu on there by the lady who wrote the book on tiramisu. Maybe try this one and that one and let us know which you prefer.
P.S. If you enjoy this Tiramisu it would be great if you could click like below and/or leave a comment further down the page.
- 4 tablespoons of good quality espresso coffee
- 1 tablespoon of Grappa (the original recipe doesn't include grappa but I love adding a little)
- 3 eggs, separate the whites and the yolks.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 ounces of Mascarpone cheese
- 24 Savoiardi biscuits
- 1 ounce of sweet chocolate, grated
- In a small bowl, combine the coffee and grappa; set this aside
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and set this aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks together with the sugar until thick and lemon colored. Add the mascarpone and blend together. Gently fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture.
- Lay half the biscuits along the bottom of a 10 inch (25 cms) square baking dish or else on a larger serving plate. Sprinkle with half of the coffee mixture.
- Cover with half of the cheese mixture, and repeat process. Refrigerate the tiramisu for 4 hours before serving. Serve sprinkled with grated chocolate.
Print this recipe...
More Secret Italian Recipes
Like us? Why not support me and Maria.
All you need do is book via the search box below, or any of the hotel links elsewhere on the website. It can be for travel to Italy... or anywhere else on earth.
You'll get the best deal available and the income we receive helps us to:
- Stay independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.
- Never have to accept money from hotels directly, so that we can share only those we genuinely love.
Jan 21, 19 09:49 AM
All it takes is 10 days and you'll have the most wonderful memories to last a lifetime. Ready to begin? Let's go...
Jan 21, 19 09:33 AM
Piedmont cooking is the finest in Italy. These are some of the most famous and best recipes selected during my ten years of living here.
Jan 21, 19 08:54 AM
Panna Cotta - A Decadent Piedmont and Italian Dessert that will leave you absolutely begging for more. Served with fresh berries this truly is the taste of an Italian summer..
Jan 21, 19 08:48 AM
Online Italian Courses with Homestay Program, via the Italian Virtual School. Whether you choose online or a homestay this is a great way to learn Italian.
Jan 21, 19 06:26 AM
An American grandmother heads off for a new life in Italy, leaving behind ten grandchildren. This incredible story will inspire everyone to live their dreams.
Jan 21, 19 06:18 AM
You'll find a lot of gorgeous villages and little towns in Italy; many though are full of tourists. Well here's one that is simply gorgeous and still undiscovered...click to discover Neive.