A Taste of Italy - Our Tiramisu Recipe
What dessert could ever beat this Tiramisu recipe at the end of a meal? In English the name means pick-me-up and that is exactly what this delicious treat of coffee and chocolate will do.
Tiramisu is a recipe that was invented in the Veneto region of Italy, in the town of Treviso near Venice and not that long ago either - 1971 to be exact.
The Veneto is where my wife Maria's family are from and you can discover plenty more on this fantastic region, from Venice through to Verona, over on her website.
There's also a wonderful recipe for tiramisu on Maria's website , exclusively shared with her by the lady who wrote the book on tiramisu.
Maybe try this one and that one and let us know which you prefer?
P.S. If you enjoy this Tiramisu it would be great if you could click like below and/or leave a comment further down the page.
- 4 tablespoons of good quality espresso coffee
- 1 tablespoon of Grappa (the original recipe doesn't include grappa but I love adding a little)
- 3 eggs, separate the whites and the yolks.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 ounces of Mascarpone cheese
- 24 Savoiardi biscuits
- 1 ounce of sweet chocolate, grated
- In a small bowl, combine the coffee and grappa; set this aside
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and set this aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks together with the sugar until thick and lemon colored. Add the mascarpone and blend together. Gently fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture.
- Lay half the biscuits along the bottom of a 10 inch (25 cms) square baking dish or else on a larger serving plate. Sprinkle with half of the coffee mixture.
- Cover with half of the cheese mixture, and repeat process. Refrigerate the tiramisu for 4 hours before serving. Serve sprinkled with grated chocolate.
Print this recipe...
More Secret Italian Recipes
Like us? Why not support me and Maria.
All you need do is book via the search box below, or any of the hotel links elsewhere on the website. It can be for travel to Italy... or anywhere else on earth.
You'll get the best deal available and the income we receive helps us to:
- Stay independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.
- Never have to accept money from hotels directly - meaning that we can share only those we genuinely love.
Sep 06, 19 11:58 AM
Maria's traditional Italian Panettone recipe. The most famous Italian Christmas cake of them all. Bake yourself a taste of Italy this Christmas.
Sep 06, 19 11:51 AM
Planning a trip to Italy? Then you really need to read our Italian itinerary before you book a single thing.
Sep 06, 19 10:52 AM
Planning on shopping in Milan? Then you have to read our guide! It is packed full of advice on where to shop, what to buy and where the bargains are to be found.
Sep 03, 19 04:06 AM
Which are the best Italian ski resorts? Visit my insiders guide and discover the answer.
Sep 03, 19 03:54 AM
The cheapest flights toTurin from the UK, Ireland, Germany and the USA. You no longer have an excuse not to visit one of Europe's greatest cities.
Sep 03, 19 03:36 AM
Great beaches lapped by the waters of the Adriatic and stunning scenery make the Italian Riviera of Monte Conero a great place to visit.